Wednesday, July 18, 2012

To everything

First of all, the review.

It has occurred to me that keeping a blog for the last four years or so has helped in this new endeavor. First, practice, and Lord knows I needed it, and continue to need it. Second, voice, which is a lot more complicated and difficult than it may seem. Third, both have bolstered my confidence.

And don't for a minute think I have forgotten you, my dear readers, as disparate a bunch as there ever was, except for that infernal game of ours. You, who have stuck with me on this journey.

Admittedly, suspecting that the piece would be published today, I hung around inside waiting so that I could do the social media thing with it. I'm glad it happened sooner than later, even though I would have surely, eventually pulled myself away, for I did not want today to be a repeat of yesterday, and spend most of it inside.

There was mowing to be done.

I'm almost embarrassed to say mention that we've been getting rain, what with most of the country in a severe drought. Thunderstorms rolled through last night and will most likely come again tonight, although much of what is headed our way is stopping at the mountains. There is flooding on the east side of the Cascades, which is most unusual this time of year. Anytime, actually.

Despite last night's moisture, the grass was sufficiently dry by noon. I knocked out the two acres in about as many hours and turned my sight to other chores, namely bush-hogging some tall grass laced with thistles and spraying yet more thistle in another paddock we've been letting the neighbor's llamas take down a bit.

This paddock, the same one in which we had a garden last year, was overrun by thistles. After the llamas had done their business, I was shocked to see just how many there were, especially after I had worked so hard last year to keep them at bay. Needless to say, the llamas won't be going back in there for a few days.

While spraying, I noticed quite a few potato plant volunteers. I find this rather exciting, for we didn't plant anything this year (doctor's orders... or rather, warning). I believe I might do a little digging this weekend. And look for tomato volunteers while I'm at it.

Digging. The mowing I have been doing the last couple of weeks has exposed a dozen or more places where gophers are foraging. Yes, I'll be digging to place traps.

Tunneling. I have another story, but it'll have to wait because I want to include some photos.

A year ago today, bastin went blogless.

3 comments:

  1. You've already figured out I'm an art Luddite. I have some respect for the paintings as being art. I liked the first more than the second for the color and structure. The second seemed to grasp for nostalgia -- OK.

    The WHITES seemed just dumb. First, the S is clunky and hurts whatever continuity he was seeking. Second, it seems more craft than art. It uses stock smarts that any corner neon crafter can provide. In art criticism I probably use plebeian. Maybe there is context that not seeing the whole exhibit is leading me to my negative conclusion.

    I think it probably speaks a bit to your artistic sensibilities. But, you find the performance in what you observe. He went out and bought some neon.

    OK, I said I was a Luddite. When you are done laughing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, Thanks for taking the time to read the review.

    The advantage you have over me is that my Luddite-ness means that I lack a certain pragmatism that comes with info in/info out toward a predictable outcome. I have neither the aptitude nor the degree of concentration required. In art, it is all about one's sensibilities. The outcome is elusive and transient, which corresponds to the way my synapses function (or do not).

    I would tend to agree with you regarding the nostalgia of the last piece. It treads very close, yet the materiality of the piece (it is a sculpture, not a painting) is what saves it. Mind you, this piece was in a group show and the majority of the work was even more fresh-out-of-art-school than this one. It might have been a comparative appreciation that would not hold up had I seen the work on its own.

    As for "Whites" — and I know you're not going to like this — I think the point of the piece is that it is dumb, as in overstated. And yes, that may be why I like it. I have thought some more about this piece and believe that it works on another level than I first thought. In that it is in a white room, it speaks to the space — and galleries in general — as well. The great thing about art is that it is SO inclusive and fluid in meaning.

    Finally, I would encourage you to go to the website for the Faulk show. There are additional images from that exhibit. Some very, very nice paintings. I could have done a whole review on this work alone.

    And Mojo, I don't know what happened to your comment. It came thru in my email acct. but not here. I have seen pictures of the devastation to crops in the Midwest and my heart goes out. I am curious about the water level on the Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most lawns in my midwestern neighborhood are brown. One guy apparently has some expensive irrigation system for his lawn is as green as they come. If nothing else, I have saved money on lawn mowing.

    ReplyDelete