Monday, July 9, 2012

Folly

It's hayin' time and the grass seed farmers have started windrowing as well. I've waited until I saw these signs to mow my paddocks, figuring that the heads of grass seed might stand a chance of competing with the thistles, brambles and tansy.

I overstate. I've done a fairly good job of eradicating the thistles and briars, and hit the tansy before I left for Illinois. Yet, I was surprised at the amount of the latter remaining in the fields upon my return. The bushhog took care of a fair amount Saturday and today, leaving some close to the fence rows where I dared not tread with tires and a blade, for it has been my habit to lay the 3-inch aluminum irrigation pipes close in, and with the overgrowth it is difficult to see — and even more difficult to remember — where they lay.

Of course, some were further from the fence than I anticipated and lost two pipes and one sprinkler head.

But back to the tansy. I will spray tomorrow.

It does not help that the two neighbors to my east do not tend their fields for invasive species of plants, for as thorough and diligent as I can be, drift and birds bring more for the next year. Mind you, I know I miss a few myself, and the seeds can remain viable for years. The gophers till the soil very well, which helps... the plants, not me in the battle. And yes, the terrain is hilly.

But this year I noticed a good deal more Tansy Moths than the previous few, which meant I would have some much-needed assistance. Except... Even though the moths still flutter about, I see precious few larvae atop the flowering plants. And I can't wait to see if more show.

So, I mow, no doubt killing comrades. Now, if the mowing killed the plants, I'd accept the trade off, but pernicious is perennial, and shortened, harder to detect when a second flowering occurs too late for the moths to lay more eggs and therefore for caterpillars to do any good. My best hope is that the plants that have been mowed will come back stronger and earlier next year so that I can nip them, you know, in the bud.

A little pun to keep me from going mad.

The mowing also gave me an idea of the number of voles hiding in the grass. Quite a few. Good thing the crows know what mowing brings for them. While content with injured grasshoppers, they caw with excitement when chasing down the rodents.

The two barn owls will have an easier time of it as well.

In related news, something has made a home under the pump house and something else is insistent at digging out the gravel I have put at the corner of a barn door. 

Time to increase patrols.

No comments:

Post a Comment