Thursday, May 16, 2013

Run off

It may be none of my business or my place to comment on the wisdom of the practice, but nevertheless, I am curious why folks are using their irrigation while it is raining. Not spitting. Raining as it has been doing the last two days. I have thought about this practice every spring since moving out here, things on my place seeming to grow quite well without the extra assistance. Yet I mention it now only because I note that one local guy has been digging a new well and it still very early in the year. Or, maybe he's just running new pipe down or some such the last few days. Still, the not knowing for certain did not prevent me from mentioning the whole water thing.

Our little pond would most likely have dried by now had we not put a hose in at a trickle. But there would have been a little water put back in this week, albeit too late for the tadpoles and salamander nymphs. And then there were the ducklings, same as the last few years, swimming around for a day or two before Momma leads them off to parts unknown. I tend not to worry about the extra usage, so I may very well be a hypocrite were I to have made some explicit pronouncements above.



Only five ducklings this year. Last year there were twelve. See the hen's dark beak? She's getting old. If it is the same hen.


No comments:

Post a Comment