Sunday, May 19, 2013

It's all good

The trip north was postponed a day, so that makes today the day. Could be why I arose early. The anticipation.

The trip north? Referred to a couple posts ago and much on my mind for a couple months now.

Had a scare in this regard a couple nights ago.

(Oh, and I'm of the school that "a couple" generally means two of something; "few" indicates three. More or less.)

The scare: Communication has been via emails and text messages. Short little things that indicate a busy schedule on one end and a respect of such on the other. And, as I've written elsewhere, brevity is a bugaboo.

Names have been added to the schedule, not of my assigning. Names I know yet not relevant to this tale. My thought upon receiving this information: This is going to be a long day, what with her three and my three (few plus few), which led to a string of thoughts, the substance and sequence of which I have forgotten except to know that they led to the dread that perhaps I had misread and therefore over-stepped by adding to the list.

The subconscious drive toward desires is a powerful force.

And so, I reread the correspondence and found the phrase, the ambiguity that I ran with: "Take us a round to a few more" with no names attached, and so I took it upon myself to add them. Chauffeur vs connoisseur.

It kept me awake night before last, not so much kicking myself but wondering how to make amends and save face at the same time. We were scheduled to talk —actually speak— to finalize plans for the day and I had promised my three to have said schedule set by last evening. I did not want to end up apologizing all around and have hard feelings remain. Not to mention the gossip mill turning away from my favor.

Well, the call came and clarifications were made. I had not accounted for the graciousness of my friend from out of town, nor her explanation of how she came upon adding names to her schedule. In the end, she was depending on my suggestions to cover her bases.

There is one other aspect to this that deserves some space on this page. In the aforementioned back-and-forth, I made clear that today was an inconvenient day to run around as it is the wife's birthday. One of only three days this month that I had something else planned. Go figure.

Well, the wife is of the mind that this day is more of a day for reflection than celebration, although she will allow for the latter, the reasons for this more than I need to elaborate here. And knowing that all of the rigamarole may end of helping yours truly in some manner, she made known her requests that would make the day: Dinner last evening and a lemon tart carried back home when I return tomorrow morning.

I will need a short nap before stepping into the rig today. But the dishes are done, the animals will be cared for and presents waiting for her when she wakes this morning.


4 comments:

  1. Uh ... I am at the right blog now, correct? : o )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost. One more click and you will be. http://patrickcollier.com/Test_%26_True.html

      Delete