Friday, February 15, 2013

Winding down

Whether long I or short I winding, it matters little, for tomorrow it rains as we head back home after a few short days on the coast.

Today was a beautiful day, warmish and sunny, which encouraged a little more exploration than the last two days of fog and/or rain. Still, a nice time was had all three days when elements from home or the kennel did not interrupt.

I let none of it stop me from taking the photos I promised.


This is the remaining stump of what was supposedly a 700 year old Sitka Spruce. They lopped off a good portion of the upper part of the trunk (to the right in the picture) a few years ago after hurricane force winds took off the part of the tree with branches. The wife, at 5' 7" provides scale.


Merely the view from the deck of the place we are staying.  I was trying to line up the top of the glass with the horizon. Didn't work.



What's a trip to the ocean without a photo of driftwood? I took this yesterday. I was out in the same area today playing with my colored flags when a young woman came up. We started talking about photo opportunities. She took out her phone to show me a very similar framing of the same root stump.



The sun's low arch at this time of the year makes photos on the north side of these rocks rather problematic.


So does the constant threat of fog.



Back to the winding or wind. The town north of where we are staying has considerably more hustle and bustle to it, especially the hustle when it comes to tourist's dollars. This shop was closed, yet I am not sure it is closed because it has gone out of business or because it is the off season. Still, it's for sale and full of kites. Any takers?  Yes?


You might want to think again. What I took to be the front of the store is actually the back. The front faces a courtyard of other storefronts, many of which were also closed.

I will resist showing you the flag photos.

2 comments: