Monday, February 11, 2013

The plan was to burn the brush pile today. Hmmm, seems like I've mentioned such a plan in the recent past, although I know for certain that I have recounted the arranging of the brush to optimize the eventuality. It'll have to wait a bit longer, for word came down upon high that the algae in the pond could not wait, nor would the frogs before laying eggs. I certainly did not want to interfere with with their reproductive commingling, nor reduce my chances for simulation of the same, so I put on waders, retrieved a rake from the barn and set about pulling several hundred pounds of the green, filamentous slime (think angel hair pasta crossed with snot) from the floor and surface. This in a body of water that measures about 20' x 60' and is 2.5' at its deepest.

My back reminds me that such labor is too infrequent for me.  The walk back to the house was reminiscent of days gone by when my gait was similarly influenced by twelve hours of labor instead of two. Still, there was also the same feeling of satisfaction when a job is done.

Well, it's never completely done. There's still a fair amount of algae remaining, which will hopefully give the frogs cover for their fertilized eggs when the mallards return to nest and graze the water's offerings. I have submerged some barley straw as well, for it is said to prevent an overgrowth of the offending plant as it decomposes. I will add more straw in July, maybe earlier if I do not get the desired results by April. We'll see.

But for now I'll rest. The wife and I are going away soon for a few days to take in some ocean breezes.  If you don't hear from me between now and then, I will at the very least promise photos upon our return.

Most likely before I burn.


1 comment:

  1. (think angel hair pasta crossed with snot)

    LOL

    I will at the very least promise photos upon our return.

    Good.

    ReplyDelete