Sunday, February 17, 2013

Back to it


I went out for one last walk on the beach this morning while the wife finished packing.

There's talk filled with the ruminations most of us have after a pleasant respite in a beautiful place. We imagine a life where we step out to this every day. Or at least something like this is a short drive away, preferably down a substantial grade lest we or everything we own gets swept away when one of those big faults off the coast finally lets go. 

No, the mind does not rest on the idyllic too long. Especially when one does a search for properties for sale. 

The memories will have to do.

And now we are home, although "home" is temporary as well, which keeps this particular dreamy location in our heads. How about if it was just a fifteen minute drive? A half hour? An hour? We are already pretty close at two hours. 

Does it matter there is less sun on the coast than here on the farm? My bones say yes.

Sure is pretty though. 

But then again, I like the Mediterranean too. And there's a nice little town west of Springfield, Illinois with nice lakeside property.





4 comments:

  1. Lots of pretty country -- here - there - nowhere.

    http://hothardware.com/News/Unigine-Valley-Benchmark-DX11-Benchmark-Released-MultiPlatform-Windows-Mac-OS-X-Linux/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, I can't thank you enough for that link! As you know, I take my landscape pretty seriously and had a good laugh when I read the copy on that site. One would hardly know it was about portrayals of geographic features without the accompanying image. I am in the middle of another essay on landscape photography and I may have to talk about this site as a good counterpoint.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm ... where west of Springfield are you looking? Are you sure you would want to move back to one of the most screwed up states in the union?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 36, I was thinking of Jacksonville. One thing the wife and I agree on is that it would be nice to avoid large cities if possible. (Might end up in one anyway, but livability is a consideration.) The thought of a smaller city with two colleges has a certain appeal to me for obvious reasons. Plus, there are two sizable lakes right there for when I need to drown some worms.

    However, I tested these particular waters over dinner after I wrote the above post. The wife is fairly set against oppressive heat in the summer and the flatness of the place.

    As for moving back to the most messed up state in the country, isn't it "normal" for some folks to seek out the dysfunction with which they are already familiar?

    ReplyDelete