Friday, January 25, 2013

Whether

The cold weather is gone and today we'll hit 50°F. With rain.

"I think I prefer the cold." says the wife, yet for the first time in weeks the wood stove is keeping the living room quite comfortable, even when sitting for long periods of time in front of the TV.

Not that I engage in such a non-activity except to spend "quality time." Even then...

Snooty bastard, eh?

Well, I've been working. Another essay, with one to follow either today or tomorrow. The first a bit snarky, warmed up as I was with the review a few weeks ago of my step-cousin's novella. The one forthcoming has a confectioner's icing.

Speaking of icing:





I shot these earlier this week, the first one being just before the weather shifted. 

And just to irk a couple of you:

Test #14

The wife might be correct. Can't shoot in the rain.

7 comments:

  1. Don't know which would be worse for you: someone stealing the truck, or someone stealing the flags out of the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my truck stolen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ0jGinw1Ws But you raise a good point. Better yet, wouldn't it be cool if I drove around and stole other locator flags and then took photos of the places they used to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny thought picture. Read the essay. You said enough. Would be wondering if an art type specific would shake out local types - as at certain judgment shows. Example: Local photoshow. City specific of a selected city in the area (location provable of location within the picture) other arts delibertly requested (maybe like your death coyote).

      Anyhow, like the answer. Stay dry.

      Delete
    2. If I understand you correctly, I would say that someone who thinks that the only thing available is the same ol' same 'ol in his specific geographic area is not looking close enough. But then again, that's too easy of an answer, and on second thought, don't think it addresses your hypothetical. If a curator wants to do a show that directly references an area, meaning that some recognizable element of that area has to be in the art, that is a different kind of limit. Yet it still may garner similar results to a show looking to make a specific aesthetic statement about a region. It's just more literal, which may in itself say something about the breadth of inquisitiveness and imagination on the part of the curator. On the other hand, say a curator want to do a show representing farm life in our region. There may be a chance that something like my coyote piece would make the cut. Kinda doubt it though, which tells more about my prejudices than the those of the hypothetical curator.

      Delete
  3. Nice shots, not sure which one I like best.

    ReplyDelete