Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year Loser

Kimberly and Stephen had a poker game at their house January 1st. I could have written the game off to a hangover had I one. I played poorly, which I knew at the time, so maybe it was my own way of cutting loose for the New Year.

I had clues, or rather an omen, which experienced players know that when one confuses the two, the game is already compromised.

For the life of me I cannot remember the fellow's name, even though we've played poker together a number of times, so, for the sake of this story line, let's call him Dickwad. Dickwad was dealing and flipped over a King that was supposed to have come to me face down in the first round of the deal. Instead, it became to burn card. When I looked at my hole cards, a Queen was on the bottom. You can guess the top card.

A few hands later I was dealt Kings (I'd love to say "again," but alas) and bet out 3BBs from early-ish position and had three callers. I checked the flop. You can guess why but I'll tell you anyway: An Ace. The pot-sized bet sent me packing.

Dickwad was the dealer again and I looked down at JQh. I limped, again from early position, as did several others. Dickwad raised it up a bit and had five callers, myself included. The flop came 9T4 rainbow, checked around passed me until Kimberly bet $6. Dickwad raised it to $15.

Now, perhaps a smarter person would fold at this point, but...

Two of the looser players were sitting to my left. I thought surely one, if not both, would call if I did, ever anxious to splash around in a big pot. Instead, they both folded, after which Kimberly threw in her last $17. Dickwad then went all in with his remaining $22. I had $21.50, announced I was on a draw and tossed in my chips.

The turn was a J. No help there. I needed a K or T. One time! How about a second time? Another J to give him fours full.

Why did I call the flop?

BECAUSE HE'S A DICKWAD!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to drop a line to check in on the Holidays.

    I'm happy to see your up and around since 24th.

    So, I'll just ask what you and dickwad asked for as New Years resolutions. On the other hand. . . maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, TM, I would say that I have been negligent were it not for the activities that have otherwise occupied my time and thoughts.

    Were I to make a resolution, it would be to write with less meal in my mouth. As for Dickwad, I suspect it would be to acquire more material goods of only the highest quality or for the best deal so as to turn a profit on the resale, both of which he went on about at great length at the table, and has been his practice in the past. Another for me would be to not let such things get under my skin.

    ReplyDelete