Thursday, December 1, 2011

Taken

Deciding that I can afford anything I want, while not wanting for much, you understand, I opted for driving by the burn piles yesterday. Not much to see, really, as they have been bulldozing the ashes,  hoping, I suppose, we get some rain before strong winds, disregarding, of course, a gully-washer sure to come. Furthermore, I can't see seeding this time of year — not that it would take well to the dead growing medium. Anyway, so dissuaded, or maybe uninspired, I continued on into town to run errands.

This was rather late in the day. Late this time of year, as 1500hrs is nearing sunset at this latitude. (Three weeks from now, the sun won't clear the tops of the fir tress across the road from us.) Still, the light lays out some nice shadows and puts a nice glow on things.

There is a parcel of land across from the brush pile fires. Until recently, there was a rather dilapidated house on the site that sat abandoned for three years as construction of a new house began. In that time, a foundation has been dug and poured, but not much else, except for the removal of the old structure. Why I bother with this background I cannot say, yet this slow pace of country life does afford a mild curiosity about the goings-on of (would-be) neighbors, and as I drove back toward home, having already dismissed the potential of a photograph of the burn, glanced up at the home site.

And I continued down the road, but not much further before looking for a place to turn around.




No comments:

Post a Comment