Friday, December 16, 2011

C'mon

Big news here in Hollow Fork: Another road-killed deer has been added to the compost.

Lord, sometimes it seems so fucking isolated here I want to scream. So, I go play free poker online.

That's only the half of it. Believe it or not, I'm pretty content with my old adage and it is more than enough.  Not the poker. Just here. With you folks. All, what? five of you. And just here, without you.

There is the wife. She has been doing the Christmas Spirit thing. Pretty remarkable performance by an agnostic Jew. She grooves on it. She is overcome by love and generosity. I sign the cards. Oh, I bought a few presents as well. Not Scrooge, mind you. After all, I cry at the end of Alister Sim's portrayal. And I am working on her presents, which I could tell you about, for she has no idea that this blog exists. (I'm sure she has her secrets too.)

A little background: Money is a bit tight (future tales, to be sure), so we have agreed to make each other presents this year. I wrote a poem. Nothing new there. I do it for every special occasion.  I'm also compiling some music for her. But again, we've been doing that for each other for years (more she than I). But besides those two things, I was having a hard time figuring what else my little mind could come up with. So, I googled.

A memory jar. Fill a jar with hand-written notes that recall shared experiences, thoughts about those times, etc. How perfect, right?!  A gallon jug for 50th anniversaries, or a pint jar for grandkids. You're welcome, although I can't take too much credit. The very Christian folks have a bunch of ideas as well, but a collection of one's favorite Bible verses just isn't appropriate in my case. Even though I do have some, no evangelical, I keep them to myself.

Yet, I look back to near the beginning of this post, and it did start out as a prayer, did it not? Yeah, I am. Don't tell anyone, OK? Tis the season, otherwise, I wouldn't be so fellowshippy.

And I also mess with the English language. Fa la la la la laaaaaaaa.

Where was I?

We have a wreath on the front door. Kinda seems appropriate.... with the dead deer and all.




2 comments:

  1. In a different part of the country it would be "Holler Fork."
    You seem a bit conflicted today. I hope you and yours have a Merry Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conflicted? I was going for humor. Well, I guess I should scratch off stand-up comedian AND proofreader off of my career choices.

    Thank you for the wishes. And let's all look forward to a good New year.

    ReplyDelete