Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bitter

I shouldn't complain. It's no doubt colder elsewhere at lower latitudes. Yet, there is something about a fog when it's 29°F that seems colder than it is. At least that's what my bones tell me. Supposedly rain is on the way, and that means the fog will dissipate and milder temperatures will set in, which is more often the way things go around here this time of year. At least until Christmas, anyway, when all hell breaks loose. Usually. Trends always have a bit of unpredictability built in.

Nor do I think I should piss and moan about other breaks from the status quo of the day-to-day. In fact, in my case I think that would be a cause for celebration.

Not everything, for again, variance is to be expected. Am I right, poker players? Am I right? Show of hands...

No, not another poker post. Let's keep the exceptions to a minimum, shall we?

It was supposed to be a done deal, fait a compli, shoe in, sure thing, picture perfect proposal. I sent in the photos of fields. You know the ones. The grant award was a cool 3K, enough to print and frame a suite of these shots. Then, I could send images of the work around to various galleries and museums in the state and pitch for an exhibit. Now, I'm back to square one. I did read that another artist I know made the cut. She works with shadows, prismatic rainbows and colored paper on windows to make pretty. I am curious to see who else got the cash.

I'll tell you, it makes me want to write some scathing reviews. It also brings out other feelings about such an artist that are no so well-deserved.

Complaining is useless. So is asking myself the rhetorical question: "So, what else is new?" Another funding deadline looms and I have yet to begin the submission process; but for now, just for the rest of the time I am awake tonight, I am going to bolster myself against the chill with a hearty three fingers of scotch.


No comments:

Post a Comment