Sunday, September 8, 2013

At it


I was beginning to embarrass myself, unable to find the above image among my photo files, searching further and further back and still not seeing it. Could it have been more than two weeks since I took the photo? Then I remembered it was on my phone.

No, I shot it a mere six days ago, long enough for me to get up the gumption to return to the building and continue my task. Long enough to not feel it in my hands and shoulders.

I took the photo after I removed all of the old tape from the seams of each panel on the bottom row. It was well past time to take care of this matter, and as it was, I spent three hours one day and five the next to complete the row.

The clouds are nice.

Today I hit the next level of panels. A six foot ladder leaning against the sides was of sufficient height to reach. And I worked at it a full seven hours. Until done. And now my arms are just-flew-in-from-Chicago tired. Hands pretty sore as well.

I think I'll do something else tomorrow, like paint the remaining weeds blue before ordering four units of compost to blow in. I could have it just dropped,  move the thirty yards around with my front end loader and then spread it by hand.

I could. But then I doubt I'd be able to finish the greenhouse. Beside taking off the rest of the tape, which should be fun as I will be climbing onto the structure itself, I then have to scrub it and re-tape. And then, if I have time, install flashing over the tape, a feature I wish would have come with the kit when we bought it ten years ago. Many of the wood panels need replaced as well.

But then the yard is going to look better than it did when we bought the place.

(Note the freshly painted roof in the background.)

The fact that I'm leaving in three weeks for another three might have something to do with the pace.

3 comments: