Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Rundown

Sparked, no doubt, by my opening this last Saturday, I thought to write a little essay about how art is not like poker. Yet, lest one think me crying over spilt and spoilt, suffice it to say that the show seemed to go over well, compliments abounding, despite no sales early in the run. Not that I would expect there to be, the venue not really known for such. Not like a poker room.

An art opening is a bit like one's wedding: too many guests to give each the time and attention they might receive in another, less hectic setting. Add to this my general dislike of openings, mine or that of someone else it matters not. I had many conversations, little of any retained for mulling.

However, I can tell you the washcloth piece was the hit of the evening. It elicited the most comments, and judging from those, the most associations, which in my opinion is a hallmark of a successful piece of art.

Another thing stands out as well: I was asked innumerable times if I worried about the usual post-opening depression that occurs with many artists. I will admit to having experienced such in the past, especially when I was younger. It is the same high that poker players have to come out of in a gracious and healthy manner — whether it be after a big win or loss, no? My answer was that I am too old for that indulgence. I have new work to make while I can, and the rest of my time is to be spent taking account of what has come before so that I may exit with some grace when that time comes.

That and organizing 30-plus years of art so my kids and wife don't have to.

Yet, I can't hit "publish" without telling you a story.

I have a friend up in the city. We don't see each other as often as I'd like, for she is a wonderful, sensitive and intelligent person (Not what you're thinking, 36.) but she also works a helluva lot harder than I do. She is a professor and a well-known, sought-after art critic. She came to the opening and heads turned because she does not "do" openings nor have I been so crass to drop her name or let it be known to casual acquaintances we are friends.

After taking her time looking at the exhibit, she came up to me and said so many wonderful things that I wish I had a tape recorder. Yes, she went on about the washcloth piece, saying that she will never look at another washcloth again without thinking of that piece. Yet she also spoke to other pieces in the show, how well they worked together and that I had done an excellent job in my selection for the show as well as execution of the work. She even had one somewhat critical remark. The heavens opened.

As I look around my studio right now, I see that I have left a lot of organizational matters undone. There are papers everywhere, some that I will need in the next week or so if I am lucky enough to find them. In the past two days I have hammered out a draft of an essay about another show I saw during my week long stay in the city and I'd like to have it ready by the weekend.

And I'm thinking a trip to Vegas might be a good idea soon. I have to pay for this show somehow.

The artist after a very long week and post-opening.

7 comments:

  1. Well, welcome home again, with Atta, Boys, in-tow.

    Good. Beware Vegas, I think they call it Sin City or something. I understand even the President calls down Hell Fire on the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hoi polloi are probably best for an artist giggle and .001 ego point. Nice when a peer is so complimentary and runs the points up so high.

    I went back and look at the wash cloth piece. It seemed the catcher when I first looked. It was the piece I wanted to see better than over the net. Seemed to culminate things you'd shown us before in pseudo text. (my term) Is there a local publisher/paper that could display it in a decent setting? Might make a nice loan in the right setting with an associated review from your friend pointing to your art.

    Hope the show had your Internet selling spot on the program. Those make better home/decorator pieces than the show's esthetics. Most of us think that way about art. Few homes or offices are able to effectively display the show's items. Of course, you knew that going in.

    I liked the whimsey but it doesn't sell well to the staid buyer. Bummer!

    Having exposed most of my lack of artistic sensibility, I'll close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how a word of praise for someone whose opinion we value can sink in to the parched soil of our creative souls.

    I'm glad you had that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TM - Thanks. As you know, I am more a fan of Vegas than of the prez, though for reasons somewhat different than yours, I'm sure.

    Ken - "Pseudo-text" works as an appropriate term. Don't discount your insight.

    Sis - Thanks. But I must say I learned a while back that I had to water my own garden. I tried the alternative for a good portion of my life and am still breaking up pieces of its hard pan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things went well. Nice pic of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things turned out very well for you. Congratulations!

    But ... who is that distinguished looking gentleman in the picture? A poker or artist friend, perhaps? He looks vaguely familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pic? Distinguished? Wish I looked as good as you, Mojo. "Vague" is more like it, 36.

    ReplyDelete