Sunday, March 10, 2013

Off

I have just fed the animals an hour late, although they were unaware.

When we were kids the time change of today would have gained us an hour of play of an evening. Mom would say, "It's really an hour earlier," with perhaps more of a subtext than we realized, for her day got longer on both ends. And today, when I call her to check in, I can guarantee she will say those five words though she only has herself to manage these days. It'll take her about two weeks to let it go.

The wife lamented last evening about the loss of morning light, but when she wakes today I can assure her that she need not fret, as it is not her custom to rise before 0630. There was light in the sky.

No surprise I couldn't sleep in. I leave today for the city. Bags are packed except for meds and computer, art safely padded and securely arranged in the back of the rig, tank full, tech toys charged. Although I'm not leaving for eight or nine hours.

I'll miss the wife and the frogs while praying that there's no need to return until next Sunday, and time spent on the phone will be in down-time and not for fires either figurative or literal, including duties left undone. I'll want our reunion pleasant.

So goes the fixated mind.

I've been pretty much ready for two weeks now, no last minute, which is not my style and has left me time to fill. I've gone from excited to anxious to doubtful, that last about one piece in particular that I will bring along anyway "just to see."  Attendance numbers too. I will admit to anticipating a greater response to social network announcements even though I should associate the lack with the same void that follows two weeks of work finding insightful comments to make on the efforts other artists presenting their work.

In fact — although "fact" it may not be when so ego-derived — I have expected a little payback, a bit of "let's see what Mr. Opinion can do," an up-to-snuff weigh-in.

Oh, 36, you funny! asking the nigh impossible lest it come in the form of artist's statement, something I indeed have albeit in a rough form from prior pitches of this body of work to funding organizations and deemed unfinished because of further developments to which only I have been privy since last seen outside of the dungeon. Still, in in that I have been asked to give a talk on this work later in its run (I'm thinking PowerPoint), something like what you propose will be forthcoming. The only advantage I have is that I have an inside line, for otherwise I never presume I speak for anyone but myself, even when in the audience or as a viewer.

I dislike hotel rooms. More than being away from home, routine and wife, a general dislike of television and thinking something interesting must wait on the streets, the hourly rate seems steep just for a too-soft mattress. The other furniture is not my couch or desk and chair in the dungeon. Yet, not every hour of my stay is accounted for, so you will most likely see me again before the week is out.

I'll try to bring photos.

4 comments: