Sunday, June 24, 2012

Acquired taste

There is no comfort to be found in the fact that 50% of my readership is in Las Vegas this week. I can't blame them for having more important things to occupy their time.

In a couple weeks it will have been one year since I dropped the old moniker. I lost 75% of my readership with that move, although the attrition has been gradual from 50%, which indicates that I am doing something wrong. Not that I expected to build viewership, especially after taking myself out of the loop.

I can hear one of my lost readers now: "You want to be liked."

To which I might reply: "No, I want to write in a manner that makes people want to read what I write. There's a difference."

Never mind the self-absorbtion.

Even google takes issue, but their spell check sucks anyway.

Wrung, wrought, wry.

***

I finally cracked the roll I need to effectively play at the level I've been at the past week. Lord (and this the Sabbath), it's not been easy, which is good, for the play is better. Yes, it is Limit O-8, so there are still the low chasers, but the nut case lagtards are fewer. Thumper says "Thank you." Of course, T needs to thank some single component of me, perhaps my brain that refuses a nickname, although to be honest (a component of said organ?), it does require some self-wrangling and still has a difficult time preventing an increase of a precursor, the pulse. After all, the only option available was stakes four times higher than previous play. The remaining solution was to limit variance, and therefore practice hand selection more rigorously than usual, so that I may gradually still the inevitable reaction with the mantra of "I played it correctly." (Deep breath.)

Tonight found me at a table with a 90% pre-flop raiser, position be damned. On the first hand I increased my stack by 50%. On the second hand I played an A3 low, and was down to 75% of my buy.



And I walked away up... way up.

2 comments:

  1. that 50% of my readership is in Las Vegas this week.

    I'm home, did lousy and can't wait to go back. There's something about poker in Vegas during the
    WSOP....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh ... we were in Las Vegas but didn't forget about you ...

    ReplyDelete