Friday, August 23, 2013

Among other things

Rain.

Not that we don't need it, if only to knock back a few wildfires. The farmers will still irrigate their fields tomorrow, the precipitation merely a bonus, and I have no doubt there are overhead systems spraying away even as I write this at one o'clock in the morning.

Scheduled to kick on at 0430 hrs, I turned ours off. Not that the lawn doesn't need it. I just don't want it to have any. Tomorrow will be sunny and by Saturday new weeds will be sprouting, just in time for me to paint them blue one final time this year. In the next week or so we'll haul in four units (30 sq. yds.) of compost for mulching the flower beds and under the trees, and pray we'll be done with all but touch-ups until we're out of here for good.

I've been on 'em all summer and done a heckuva job browning. (Just had to.)

I'm a wee bit proud of myself, you see, for this is the first year in five I've had the energy or been without fear of a Thumper tantrum.

Even cut and split a quarter cord today.

Now watch...

Speaking of watching, I've been burning a good deal of petrol rubberneckin' field burns this last week. A few good shots but cloud cover has been an issue. Wispy don't cut it, nor does overcast, and the smoke coming up from the southern forests make for lousy horizons.

While I'm hoping this will be the last year for chasing fires and char, there is one thing I wish I had, and that is some good video of run-off from these fields.



And here's your flags, 36:


No doubt run over by an implement or two.

3 comments:

  1. Is your place up for sale? You've probably mention that and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, Dave. Still have one helluva punch list.

      Delete
  2. Well, now I can sleep at night without worry!

    ReplyDelete