Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Proportions

The elk jerky is quite good. All lean and peppery.

I needed a good protein source, and by "good" I mean tasty, for I get a lot of protein already. I could almost say too much but I'm not certain that is the case. In a ratio to my carb intake at this time though, protein is overwhelming. It's this gut diet, you see. Think modified Atkins. Consequently, I weigh less now than I have in fifteen years. Maybe eighteen. But I had help before the diet, though not by choice.

But enough of that.

Twelve more gallons of the blue stuff was sprayed around the place yesterday. The effects are apparent this morning. So much bed straw, a fair amount of poison hemlock and thistle. At times I feel like just bombing everything green and starting over. Of course, it would be a battle I'd lose for there are enough seeds in the dirt to keep the "plants misplaced" coming back for fifty years. So, I'll settle for cosmetics. This evening I'll get out the weed whacker for some more trimming around the outbuildings. And later this week, maybe even as early as tomorrow, I'll start in on the blackberries.

"No, not the blackberries!" one might protest. No, not all of them. Just most of them, which will still leave us with gallons of berries this summer. And the berries I don't pick will get eaten by the birds so there will be plenty of seeds shat about to keep the next owner of this place (or even me, if we don't find a buyer for a while) busy for years to come.

If parentheticals can act as transitionals, I can tell you about some orchardists up the road who have had their place on the market for three years. Age, you understand, makes this type of work harder with each passing year, and they are both ready to kick back some, she to paint and he to continue with his first love, the study of rocks. Anyway, their place is now in escrow, an offer accepted by folks who first offered two years ago at an absurdly low price. All have evidently come to a better understanding of what the market will bear.

Meanwhile, houses in some Portland neighborhoods are staying on the market for no more than ten days and offers are being accepted over the asking price.

By way of a nod to all that is good, the bluebirds are feeding their young in the boxes we put up in the back ten acres.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff. When I was in college one roomie brought in some homemade deer jerky. It was the best I've ever had. As for the weight --- a few years ago a modified Atkins did wonders for me. Of course, like many I put the weight back on plus. Right now I am down 32 lbs due to a proper eating plan and exercise.

    Congrats to the friends on getting their house sold. My stayed on the market for a year. What a waste of my money as I paid more interest that year than ever before (second house, bridge loan).

    ReplyDelete