Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New(s)


There's a reason we call it "news," although it does not necessarily refer to a completely original event.

That's the pseudo-brainy thought for the day, so obvious I should start over. But in all of the excitement, I won't.

Wait around long enough and something will happen. That's a good rule of thumb out here in the sticks. I often get the urge to write a post, but usually while I'm mowing the lawn or some similar chore. I think, "I could write about running out of gas and then spilling over when I thought the tank would easily take what remained in the five-gallon can." But that's what other forms of social media are for, which is why I don't. Of course, I just did, but for other purposes.

I just had a little bit left to mow. One strip. Yet, now with a full tank, there was grass out toward the barns that needed cut as well, so I headed out there. I started at the opposite end from where the pond is, and I mention this only because I then headed toward the pond, up a small embankment, onto the driveway, hung a left to come back down and saw the ducklings. The mowing came to an end for the day.

It's not a very good photo. I needed to stop it down more or maybe push the ISO up a notch for these little buggers. They were looking for Mom, who was nowhere to be found. Hopefully, they'll still be there tomorrow and I'll use my 100 mm lens accordingly. Mom and Dad showed up as I was headed back to the house. I probably scared them off with the mower.

And, I have a new writing gig. A bi-weekly column that will highlight single pieces of art in exhibits, the one piece that stands out in an otherwise fairly unremarkable show, six  or so little snippets at a time.  Now I just need a name for it. I'm thinking "Spot On."

There's also a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, on the health issues. I'm visiting the loo a lot less due to a magic potion and precisely placed needles. It's a welcome change but there's an aspect of the inconvenience that I'll rather miss, and that is, as unseemly as it may be, familiarizing myself with more public facilities. Even so, I believe I have enough photos now for a series.

I'll leave you with the latest.


1 comment:

  1. The ducklings are so cute. Congrats on the new writing gig.

    ReplyDelete