Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting along

I don't like to go this long without posting. I really don't. And, I suppose had I taken my laptop with me to New York, I would have found the time. I was, after all, alone in my hotel room for hours on end each day, sleep came hard, I had a pint of scotch and a bucket of ice... all conducive to spew.

My daughter is now married. A simple ceremony in a park officiated by the city mayor, she made for a lovely bride, and better still, I like the guy. Old wounds appeared to have healed between her mother and I, and the thunder storm stayed away until well into the reception.

Matters at home were otherwise.

Due to a tight budget, the wife stayed back. Tight because we are readying the house and work was planned and going before the kids decided to get hitched (no, no shotgun). You see, as much as I'd have liked to do the work myself, I have orders to go easy on the sweat-inducing activities for the foreseeable future. Hence, the heavy writing schedule that keeps me away from here (I gotta make a buck, not to mention stay "active.") and us fed. It's complicated, but the bottom line is that we have to hire out, which meant the wife had to deal with the contractor and painting crew.

He said I used the term "cluster fuck," which I don't remember doing, even though it is in my lexicon. Of course, it was to some degree, so I might have to drive home the point that he was fired. And although he thinks I just needed someone to yell at because I couldn't do the work myself, well, that I won't admit because that ain't me.

Besides, he let the job go a bit too easy. No argument, really. He just came and fetched his stuff. Like there was something he wasn't telling us.

So, now we're in a race with the rains and I may be getting up on the roof anyway.

I still have four cords of wood to put up, plums and berries to pick, a lawn that needs mowed and I'm leaving again Wednesday for three days to cover an art thingy. (See above.)

I'm thinking a condo might be our next move. But that means constant proximity to people.

Maybe buy more ammo.

BTW, I'm all caught up on reading blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment