Sunday, September 14, 2014

Time warped

I should be asleep. Or rather, I wouldn't mind if I was asleep right now instead of awake after an hour nap.

I could blame it on the time difference between Chicago and home, for I never go to bed as early as I did tonight, not without similar results. Or, it might be the road noise. There is a major road right outside the window next to my bed and still a fair amount of traffic at the midnight hour.

Still, I must ad to this a certain amount of anticipation that has crept into my mind that takes an extra measure of sedation to allow me distance. Last night was easy. It was my first night in town, and as is the tradition these last few years, my friends made certain I was mighty toasty before I laid my head on a pillow. Tonight, none of us had the wherewithal for a repeat performance, especially on a "school night."

They have been asleep for a couple hours now. And if I sit here for another five hours, I will be able to greet both them and first light.

Oh, and there is a sports bar next door. I just heard two patrons laughing as they got into their vehicle. I suppose there were some big games today...

I am glad to see my friends. The ones I am staying with are very dear friends. I have known the husband for over thirty years, his wife for almost twenty. They put me up every time I come into town. Yet, I also believe in the three-day rule and will move into a small studio apartment nearby tomorrow. It is tucked away on a side street and in the back of a house. It is owned by friends of friends, and so with less at stake, it is there I will stay until I return home next week.

It is a long time to be away from home. And, in truth, had I known when I made my flight reservations I wouldn't be able to install my show until this coming Wednesday evening or Thursday, I would not have come out as early as I did. As busy as I was around the farm before I left, I left chores undone that will be more difficult to finish upon my return, for tonight the wife told me rain is in the extended forecast.

It is sometimes hard to believe that I lived in this city for nearly twenty years. Sure, it has changed quite a bit in the eleven years since we left. I am astonished at the gentrification that has taken hold in some neighborhoods. And frustrated by the lack of parking in what was once my particular hinterland. Wholly aware that back in the day I was very much a part of making it happen now, I still want to stand out on the street and yell at the entitled, self-absorbed hipsters who seem to gloat over living in this 'hood, "I remember when!"

The wife knew this wasn't going to be an easy trip for me, and fittingly bought me a t-shirt to wear for my opening that reads "Village Elder." And believe me, I take some comfort in the light self-mockery wearing it will bring. While I am as comfortable as I can be with the body of work I have brought to exhibit,  and I wouldn't have passed up this opportunity for the world, there is a part of me that would rather be stacking the two cords of firewood I have yet to order at about the same time the first people show up for the opening.






4 comments:

  1. Well, Village Elder beats Sweet and Sour. Hang in there and soon, maybe before snow falls on the mountains, you'll get to stack two cords of wood. P.S. Do you really mean two cords?, four ricks. Man, that's a lot of wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two cords is a light load, TM. Last year it was three; the ear before that, four. You see what I'm doing there, right?

      Delete
  2. "I also believe in the three-day rule"

    I hadn't heard of this, but it makes sense.

    Good Luck with your exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's three days for both fish and visitors, Dave.

      And thanks for the continued well-wishes.

      Delete