Thursday, October 18, 2012

OK, I'm back.

Kind of... Enough, anyway, to try to redeem myself with another, more readable essay. Be sure to check out the links at the bottom, especially the first one. It gives a good picture of the environment in which the photos were taken.

I haven't gone public with the following yet, but you guys are special. I have been ordered by the medical folks to curtail my travels to the city, except, of course to keep my appointments with them. Seems I was beating a nearly-dead horse, largely fueled by coffee and Pepto.

Yeah, I know. How rough is it to work from home with a road trip twice a week to look at art?

My one editor, the one that pays a living wage, took it pretty well. The other one I'll wait to tell as he owes me money. The former has suggested I work on my memoirs and do some broader cultural commentary pieces for him at my leisure, at least until I get to feeling like my old self.

And when, exactly, will that be? I was told a year. I'm hoping it's considerably less, for it's not just the city stuff that she wants me to forgo: Trips of any kind, certainly that wood pile, and anything else that causes stress or exertion. (Judging from the way my gut and Thumper reacted last night, this includes poker.)

Well, it's going to have to wait a bit. I have one more obligation up north and need to go help my Mom in a couple weeks. In the meantime I will do as I'm told as best as I can by confining my activities to the studio. Upon my return I need to organize the thousands of photos I have (mostly trashing) and ready myself for a March exhibit.

I do need to turn this ship around in case we get a buyer for this place next spring.

I think it's also time I write a piece about an eccentric relative...

And hey, thanks for being there.

7 comments:

  1. Followed the recommended links. It wasn't hard to recall the dirt and grime experienced then. Wish the contrast between the native/round eye would have been shown but the subject of your essay didn't.

    Both great articles, however.

    No travel? No stress. Did that doctor leave room for some booze, any women, and I suppose being in OR (that abv. sounds like an operating room. Oregon needs to change that.) you can't smoke.

    Lousy, lousy situation. But why consider L.A. where the tensions of just making the corner grocers is every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well rather have heard some better news. But, at points, any news is at least somewhat good news. A year? Heck, you'll handle that fine. Just don't git silly and stir crazy. But, looks like your wife can take you down a peg if she has to. Listen to the little women. (Grateful she that many miles away after that crack.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked some nice images from those offered. I particularly like the one of the man holding the bloody 30-pound salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TM - Good point about the Native side of things. In that I mentioned the tribal politics, maybe he'll consider it for a future series. As for the LA thing, we may not have a choice but that doesn't mean we're ruling out other options. A riverside cabin or something similar is still in the back of my mind.

    NT - Thanks, Sis. Likewise.

    Ken - Thanks for the encouragement. And you're correct, the wife has things under control and has a mean right hook.

    Mojo - That photo is the one that fronts all of his recent PR, for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya, Crash. Loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete