Wednesday, April 25, 2012

That's what

If I were a bettin' man...

What? a couple days ago I was tooting about hitting the 300K mark playing limit games? Two days later and another 20K. But so what? A couple hours. Easier than writing art criticism. Of course, a lot of other things are easier than poker too, and just as much as a distraction, for that is what it is at this point. Stop me if I'm repeating myself.

So much, otherwise: 

There are visible frog egg clusters in the pond.

The hawks are still dancing to impress above our fields.

I mowed the lawn again today to pick up the cutting, too long to bag, from yesterday and without dropping the deck, took off an inch of new growth.

I cruised around with the bush hog and finished with the lawn tractor back by the barns. (I really must change the oil in both the Deere and Kubota soon.)

Oh, and then there's this:

That was last night. Right before we were supposed to get a thunderstorm, which we didn't. Which is a good thing. The fruit trees are all in bloom now. The bees are a-buzzing. Beside themselves, actually, zooming from blossom to blossom like an Easter egg hunt. Something like that. We should have a good harvest of apples, pears and plums come fall.  If we had rain and wind last night, not so much.

We have three male pheasants on the property, up from zero last year. I've been trying to figure out a way to tell you the story for some time, for there is a story there. Not that we had anything to do with it. However, I will direct you to the fifth paragraph and the phrase in quotes. Therein lies our part in the story, for it is not what it seems —nonetheless a proper use of quotation marks — and what it is has been forbidden by the County. Neighbors saw to it; he presented a better case against than the neighbors; and he ignored the decision. Hence the subterfuge.

Anyway, the life-longers  tell of a day when there were many pheasant here, yet I suspect the same pressures that eliminated them before will occur again, I'm guessing at the hands of the "victim's" friends who "helped" build his case.

But listen to me: I sound like some radical nature lover.



No comments:

Post a Comment