Sunday, April 1, 2012

Just because doesn't mean

While in Hawaii, I received noticed via an alert from google, that my email account had been compromised by some nefarious Canadian IP, and it was suggested that I change my password immediately. Not really a suggestion, and I did what was recommended. Not really a recommendation either, but you get the drift.

Whether by coincidence or not, I began receiving emails from an addy I recognized but could not immediately put a name to, with a message that suggested that person had also been hacked, and so goes the circle. After the third such message, I hit the "phishing" alert and ended it. Or so I thought.

I awoke this morning to another name that rang a dim bell and I was suspicious, yet, since the preview made the message seem innocuous enough and art-related, I opened it to find this:

Have you ever painted? If so you learned nothing. If not, you speak of it as though it is complicated.

As I said, the name was vaguely familiar, so I did a search. I then knew who it was right away, yet still the message made little sense. And this was not the only email from this person.

P.S. By the way, you understand nothing of my work so please don't ever try in the future. It's not in you.

All the best,

M

The time stamps were 0230 and 0234 hrs.

Curious.

It is not uncommon for artists to work into the wee hours. As a matter of fact, most of my correspondence occurs as quick back-and-forths between midnight and two in the morning, which also means that it is as late as four or five elsewhere and these people are still awake. It's that precious quiet time we crave, when juices can flow uninterrupted. Sometimes distilled spirits as well. And I assumed the latter was involved in this case.

I wrote a review some ten months ago about an artist. It was a fairly positive reflection on his work, and while the artist needed some clarification about my say, we came to the amicable understanding that I indeed did like his work. The above emails were not from him yet concerned the review, for at the very end of the essay I made mention of another artist's work in the same gallery. Just a couple sentences, or maybe just one very long one, but again, it was positive. Still,  just to make certain, I reread the essay. I then followed up with a little more background on the guy. This is my response to him today:

Dear M,

I must admit some confusion as to the purpose of your emails of early this morning, although it seems that I have somehow offended you and your sensibilities.


Like you, I am an artist and a veteran (Navy Hospital Corpsman, aka medic 1973-1977). I am also a writer, which is to say that I exhibit in print my attempt to derive meaning, and to an admittedly lesser extent, an understanding of what an artist is presenting to me as a viewer. This requires a level of engagement that I take rather seriously. Although I do paint, I must chuckle because I do not consider myself a serious painter, nor accomplished — merely expressive in my stumbling for something elusive. I harbor no notion that I am ever wholly successful in my pursuits.. The complications to which you refer, as I am sure you are aware, lie within the artist.


As to the brief albeit positive comments I made about your work earlier last year (for I assume this is the impetus for your latter email), I meant no slight. I can assure you my motivations were honorable and made note of your work for closer examination at a later date. Might I suggest we arrange a conversation when you have your next exhibit?


Sincerely,


(Spot)

I'd offer to do a studio visit, but I think a public setting wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment