Monday, January 2, 2012

Meta lessons

Another night sitting in the light of the midnight oil. Cheesy as that is, it may be all I can muster for sentence with any creative spark. Saganaki, anyone?

What I thought were completed essays required to project respectability, dedication and just plain ol' smarts were rejected by the editor in the office upstairs.  Shame, but true, my words turn in on themselves sometimes. I know what I mean, or think I do. Turns out, I'm pretty good at alliterative mumbo jumbo. And contrary to what some might believe, they won't buy it just from the pretty picture.

But enough about that. It's not all work and no play. New Year's Eve was pleasant streaming Louis CK episodes while drinking a bottle of bubbly. (Yes, Happy New Year to all of you.) And today was the annual poker thingy and BBQ. The food, I must say, was pretty lame, except for my green bean casserole. As lame as my cards, so it evens out. Jacks and Queens no good, my game impressive only with my lay downs. Otherwise, folding blinds for three hours while waiting to eat.

And just now, I took a break from writing... before this writing... to play a little online poker. Funny money, of course, but bear with me.

I hit 200K in winnings a couple days ago, a good 3/4 of it playing 10/20 and 50/100 limit games, this after giving another player 20K earlier in the month. I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment, despite the field. Well, as you can imagine, after attending to duties, I anxiously went back to the tables, only to find neither O-8 or 8 Games running. What to do? NLHE? PLO? How about something completely new? Not Badugi. I've played it before, found it frustrating, and I want excitement, not consternation. So, how about some 5 Card Draw? Not that it's completely new to me, yet 35 years is long enough to make me a virgin retroactively.

I've played maybe one hundred hands so far. The first twenty-five were figuring out relative hand strengths and the second twenty-five I watched the number of cards being drawn so I could establish some correlation to hand types: pairs, draws, etc. You know. And I'm winning. Not much in Donkville dollars, their inflation being what it is, but I've more than doubled what I've invested.

Invested... ha!

Back to the job apps.

2 comments:

  1. When I want to play something different, I try 7-card stud hi/low. Fun game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mojo, I wish I shared your enthusiasm for 7-card hi/lo. That rotation is the 8-Game is frustrating. Yet, so is Razz and regular 7-card, so I suspect I lack insight to the games... most likely betting strategies. I end up folding most everything, and when in a hand, am amazed at the number of times I get outdrawn on the 7th street.

    And BTW, I did not intend to suggest in the post that I have 5-Card Draw mastered in 100 hands of play. Nosiree. Yet, I like the pace of the game when it is 6-handed. I can get my fix in short order and then return to work (such as it is).

    ReplyDelete