Monday, September 19, 2011

Elemental

Rain. Just a bit overnight and now there's some blue showing, which is good news for me, more an excuse to take a drive and finally, maybe, get some decent photos. Open my eyes like brain ozone.

It's getting more difficult to see the same things over and over and still see something special, but the dust on the washboard roads will be knocked down, and that's a start.

Which reminds me: I've owned my truck for almost four years and I had it washed for the first time last Thursday. Even hot-waxed to a dull sheen. Not that anyone but me noticed, which reminds me:

Small things to keep busy, stay active. My mom does the crosswords; I make stuff. That sense of accomplishment into the ether. For the most part, anyway. This is not to say that I am not grateful, indeed, elated like a fizzy bubble in cream soda making its way from the bottom of the glass up to the surface and freedom when someone pauses long enough to take notice. After all, there are so many little bubbles streaming their way.

*****

Funny thing: I wrote the above yesterday morning before breakfast. After breakfast I took all of my vitamins and supplements like a good boy and washed them down with a big glass of apple cider. Ten minutes later I was in excruciating pain and felt like my gut was going to burst. It was so bad that I felt the only thing I could do was lay down, so I did. And when I shifted from one side to another to find the most comfortable position, I started to belch. Big ones. And almost immediately I began to get relief, so I let a few more rip, got up and went downstairs to explain that I was feeling better. I let one last blast issue forth and a cloud of white powder came up with it. Here's what I think happened: I've started taking a new calcium and magnesium supplement as my wife suggested it might help with some preexisting gastric disorder. The cider is acidic, so I essentially created a fourth grade science project in my belly.

*****

Now, where was I headed?

The sun and a tank of gas. Making things that show for themselves. Getting a little notice and the corresponding gratitude. Oh yeah, that bubble's trajectory. It hits the surface and disappears. It doesn't really matter...

Truth be told, I'm in a little creative slump. The drawings I'm doing don't cut it; the photo series I've been working on for four years has come to an end except for post and cull, so a little distance is needed. And free-for-all poker has been filling the void. Sure, I win nearly every time I sit down, but so what?

I should be reading more, for there is always writing to be done.

The light bulb in the thought balloon will come on again soon enough.

*****

Powdery mildew has pretty much engulfed the summer squash. We have more cucumbers and cherry tomatoes than we can eat or disperse to neighbors. The basil and potatoes need harvesting. We're finally getting some ripe big tomatoes. New lettuce and mustard is planted. The plums are ripe. The scab didn't destroy all of the apples but the pears look like shit. The gopher from that golfing movie has moved in. I have to mow the dandelions. The compost pile is quite large now but very dry.

How about a picture?

Priorities

No comments:

Post a Comment